Remnants of ancient deciduous forest - mainly oak and beech. Also areas of pine and for established in the late 20th century. www.2clix.net/m/32B.jpg
Bins for plastics, kitchen waste, paper, and metal.
A small covered stand has recently been erected for the convenience of travellers.
This is open to the public but belongs to the Golf club and is supervised by their staff.
Constructed in the early fifteenth century and mentioned in a legal document dated August 1435. Unlike mazes made of hedges, where people can get lost, this is a rare example of a maze made of intertwining brick paths.
Open to visitors for a small daily charge. Annual subscription £25. Bar and small restaurant. Secretary Penelope York. Tel: 411 222
An ancient stone bridge built in the 14th century. Loved by photographers. www.2clix.net/m/43c.jpg
The highest point in the village. Popular for toboganning in the winter. Lovely views over the countryside. Wooden seats and a small pavilion. The windmill is close by.
A smock mill built in 1785. Partly damaged by fire in 1885. Restored 1905. In use till 1988 grinding corn for the village. Splendid vews from the upper floor. Access free of charge.
Dr Susan Green has her surgery adjacent to her house. It is open from 9.0 till 12.0 Monday to Friday. She has an assistant, Paul Brown, a recently-qualified doctor. He takes over when Dr Green is away on hospital visits. To book an appointment, ring 411 001. For emergencies, ring 0800 000.
Run by Martin Tompkins and his son Robert. Available 24/7. Also an 8-seat mini-
bus and a Rolls Royce limousine for weddings. Special rates for Stansted Airport
and the Ferry Terminal at Harwich.
A picturesque row of 17th century cottages thatched with Norfolk reed.
Leads from the Village shop on Westland Road, in the centre of the village, round to the cake shop, almost making a complete circle.
These are a special breed called Gloucester Old Spot. They have prominent black markings and look striking. Theybelong to Jock McDonald at Yeomans Farm.
15 Glebe Lane. Opened last year. A thriving café. 30 min. free use of the Internet when you spend £3 on food or drinks.
Run by Giles Fairweather since the death of his uncle who served as a naval officer during the second world war. www.2clix.net/m/22c.jpg
Established in 2002 in the former kindergarten to provide a permanent presence in the village. Manned 24/7.
Only opened last year, it is now the hub of the village’s IT community.They carry a wide stock of computers, laptops and smartphone apps, and offer a much-appreciated repair and update service.
The first Saturday in each month. You can buy or sell anything legal. A do-it-yourself market where anyone with things to sell can park their car in a line or circle, open their boot and display whatever they want to sell. Contact the organizer, Sandy Baxter, at the petrol station. Tel: 411 555
The local time-table is displayed under the covered stand. A bench was added last year.
Teenagers from 12 to 17 are welcome to join. Open each evening from 6.0 till 9.0 and on Saturday from 2.0 till 9.0. Run by Nancy and Roger Freeman whose parents run the Kingfisher pub.
Offers early schooling to children of the village. Ages 7-11. A kindergarten welcomes children from 3 years. Older children go to secondary school in the nearby market town. Most travel by school bus.
Run by Jill Yates the farmer’s wife at Oaktree farm. Sells farm produce incl eggs, fruit & veg. Also home-made jams & sauces. Open 10.0 till 12.0 Monday – Saturday.
A thriving mini-market. Owned and run by Cindy White and her four children. Open 6:00 til 6:00 daily. 8:00 til 12.00 on Sundays.
Several farmers in the village have a flock of sheep. Most are Longhorn or Hardwick but Dr Maple at Grange farm has a flock of Jacob sheep, instantly recognizable with their black, white, grey and brown fleeces and the ewes with horns.
The village is criss-crossed by footpaths, kept clean by the scout troop.
Planted with apple and pear trees, it is part of Grange Farm. When the trees are in blossom in early May they are an unforgettable sight. They feature on picture postcards on sale at the post office.
Built in 1447 in early gothic style it has some wonderful stained-glass windows. A new organ was installed in 2004. Sunday services 11:00 and 6:30. Mid-week service Wednesday 7:00 pm
Lies behind the church. Has lovely old trees. In May it is a riot of colour with a mass of spring flowers. A haven of peace and tranquility. Many villagers love to sit there.
The traditional heart of the village between the church and the river. The war memorial is here. It is where many village ceremonies and festivities take place. www.2clix.net/m/3.jpg
Dug in the 11th century by Ulf, a Saxon yeoman, to protect his sheep from wolves and to provide fish on Fridays. Moats are a common feature of many medieval farms in this area.
Starts from the Village shop and leads out of the village past the Boating lake.
The Europa hotel has a resident coiffeuse, Mademoiselle Francoise. Her hair-dressing salon is open from 9.0 till 1.0 on week-days. She has many clients in the village who come to her Glebe Lane salon, run by her assistant Josephine. Tel: 411 990
Stocks a range of national and local newspapers, and popular magazines.
Run by Trevor Vine and his wife Anne. They sell a range of small items such as envelopes, notebooks, pens and biros, picture postcards, birthday cards, etc.
Fred West has lived here for 40 years. He does woodwork for anyone in the village. Makes carvings and wooden ornaments to order. Also sells on-line. Tel: 411 777. www.2clix.net/m/20.jpg
No charge for the public. Please keep it clean, and park within the white lines. It is supervised daily by hotel staff.
Regular bus services to nearby towns and villages. Timetables are displayed next to the ticket-machines. It is manned from 7.0 am till 11.0 pm. www,ruralbuses.uk Tel: 411 888
Part of Yeoman’s farm, run by the owner's son. Mostly winter wheat and sheep-grazing. One field is devoted to a small herd of dairy cattle.
Owned by the Ethleston family since 1715. Now a mixed farm growing vegetables and raising pigs and poultry.
Next to the Riding School where the horses are housed. It also provides clean stabling for villagers’ horses.
Owned by Sir Herbert Scott-FitzJames at Fennimore Hall. Run by Sandy Baxter and his son Alan. Open 6.0 am till 11.0 pm. Sell tyres and do some repair work. Tel: 411 111
This is the main road through the village. It runs from Buckland in the East to Bradfield Episcopi in the South-west.
Built in the 1990s and renovated in 2004. 20 doubles, 12 singles. Restaurant. Indoor swimming pool with sauna. Table-tennis room and squash court. Free wifi. Owned and run by Jane and Tarquin Pettifer. www.2clix.net/m/19.wav
Popular with parents of small children. They should not be left there unsupervised.
Three tennis courts. £3 for half an hour. To book a court, ring 411 900. Rackets and balls can be hired.
Opened in the 1930’s and run by the same family. Thoroughbreds and chidren’s ponies for hire. A small equestrian area is used for teaching dressage and jumping. Contact Jenny Walker on 411 321
Some of these horses are owned by the Riding School and are used for training novices or for hiring out to anyone interested . Others are privately owned by people in the village who pay for them to be housed in the Stables. www.2clix.net/m/25.jpg www.2clix.net/m/48.jpg
Popular in the summer for mothers with small children.
25 metres by 15, the pool is free to the public. Open from 8.0 till 6.0 - May to September. Wilf Dean, an ex-Marine sergeant and qualified life-saver, is on duty to ensure safety.
Jill and John King run a very active “deli” offering an astonishing range of mouth-watering goodies.
“Clippers”at 22 Glebe Lane offers hair-cutting for men and boys.
A small pharmacy stocking most family needs. Run by Betty and Ted Hughes, both qualified pharmacists.
A key meeting place in the village owned by Bill Freeman and his wife Olga. They took it over five years ago. It was then called the Elephant and Castle and was very run-down, and in need of renovation and investment. It is now a thriving business. They offer hot food at the bar and have an attractive veranda at the back with lovely views towards the river.
The village post office has been run by Jennifer Green for 30 years. Open from 8.0 till 12.30 and from 2.0 till 6.0 on weekdays. Saturdays and Sundays 8.0 till 12. She sells newspapers, magazines, sweets and picture postcards. The place to hear the latest village gossip.
Open to the public. Extensive lawns and exotic flower-beds. Some ancient trees are home to a family of red squirrels. www.2clix.net/m/30.jpg
A wide variety of picturesque paths varying from woodland trails to strolls along the river and through the countryside. One popular walk leads up Holly Knoll past the old windmill.
Close to the village green and free of charge. Always open. Kept scrupulously clean by Mick Roper at the Fire Station.
The land was donated to the village by Dr Maple’s father in his will.
George Oaktree has been working in his village smithy for over 50 years, like his father and grandfather before him. Always ready to help, with a wry smile, a saucy story and a twinkle in his eye. Able to do amazingly complex metal-work and can repair almost anything.
Fred is there from 9:00 til 5:00 most days when fine: May to Sept. His Tel: 411 567
£2.50 an hour. Ideal for picnics on Paradise Island. Available from 8.0 am till 6.0 pm
daily, weather permitting. To book in advance, ring Fred: 411 576
A lovely stretch of water with Paradise Island in the middle. Many types of boat can be hired. If Fred isn’t there, ring 411 567 to book a boat. Part of the lake is roped-off for swimmers.
Situated in the centre of the boating lake, it is covered with exotic vegetation that attracts an amazing variety of wild life. An ideal spot for a quiet picnic relaxing in your punt.
Part of the lake is roped-off to prevent accidents between swimmers and boats. There’s a small wooden diving-board on the island and a raft in the middle. The lake is no more than 4 feet deep.
Used by the local school. The village football team plays here on Saturdays. Anyone can play here when it is not already in use.
Built in the early 19th century. Previous one was destroyed by fire. The vicar is Rev.
Hubert Webb. He runs the local scout troop and amateur dramatic society. He also gives services in two nearby villages: Foxton and Beaverdale.
Mainly used by children as it contains only tiny fish. It is kept replenished with tiddlers and frog-spawn.
This is also used as a footpath. Cyclists are requested to show care and consideration to walkers.
Sheltered from the wind and provided with wooden benches under two willow trees.
Pretty views over the lake.
75 miles in length, it rises in the hills of Derbyshire and flows into the North Sea near Colchester. Provides ample opportunities for sport and recreation. Used by villagers for swimming, boating and fishing.
Conveniently placed on the edge of the river. Much used by fishermen.
“Belinda’s” - open 9.0 to 5.30 daily. Closed Sunday. She bakes all her own bread & cakes. Her cream tarts are known far and wide. Best to get there early as they sell out quickly. Or place your order by phone: 411 633
Provides an opportunity for retired people to meet and talk. Tea and cakes, and a visiting speaker. Newcomers are always welcome. They meet on the first Thursday of the month in the former village hall.
Erected in 1923 to commemorate villagers who gave their lives in the first world war. Plaques were added in 1949 for those who died from 1939 to 45.
Donated by a villager in memory of his grand-daughter who was drowned in a boating accident in the river in 2005. A welcome retreat for those caught in the public gardens by a summer shower.
Available free of charge to the public. Bicycle frames should be secured to the rack structure with a strong lock and chain.
16th century farmhouse owned by Dr Maple. Been in the same family for 150 years. Visitors welcomed to view the ancient moat and the family’s collection of rare anmals. Tel: 411 500. www.2clix.net/m/42.jpg
Built in 1945 to commemorate the end of the second world war. Used by the youth club, scouts & guides and the village council for their monthly meetings.
These are Herefords, a popular breed of cattle bred for beef. This herd belongs to Dr Maple at Grange Farm.
Manned by volunteers. One fireman is permanently on duty.
Run by Terry & Carol Webster. Open every day from 12:00 til 2:00 and from 6.30 to 10.00.
Like the fire station it is manned by volunteers. One man is on duty at all times.
A magnificent Elizabethan manor house built in 1594. Its extensive grounds include an area of woodland with a herd of deer. Owned by Sir Herbert Scott-FitzJames, a former ambassador. It has been the family seat since 1785. He breeds horses and has a fine collection of paintings and early fire-arms. Formerly an Olympic skier.
Part of Castle Farm, noted for its devotion to mixed farming.
This is where Grange Farm stores the hay for their animals. Under it stacks of corn and animal-feed are stored.
Like his father before him, Bob Roberts mends the boots and shoes of villagers. He’s been doing it for nearly fifty years.
Used by the council’s gritting lorries when the roads are icy.
Clara Benson gives violin lessons to adults in the conservatory attached to her house.
The wooden building where boy scouts hold their weekly meetings
Hugh Palmer is the headmaster of the local school. He has been in charge of the school since 2004.
He is a retired Professor of Archaeology from a French University closely involved in local excavations of a Celtic settlement.
A popular centre where members of the public can discuss their problems and get advice
Joe Chard is an expert in the ancient art of thatching. He likes to use Norfolk reed, which lasts 70 years, instead of the cheaper wheat straw which needs replacing after only 40 years. He always covers the roof with fine wire netting to stop birds building their nests in the thatch.
Newly-refurbished changing rooms for the swimming pool. Showers, loos, sauna and a whirl-pool. Towels can be hired from the attendant.
The original building where troublesome drunks were locked up for the night. Now houses the police-station’s emergency generating system.
Set up in 2008 by Olga and Feodor Antonov. Specializes in Russian, and English for foreigners.
Run by Owen Moore. It is a place where you can take something as security against a small loan. It is returned when you repay the loan. Or you can get money for something you don’t need and the pawn-broker sells it. Pawn shops were very common but many have now been taken up-market and are called cash-converters.
These consist of a hay-loft, with an area underneath for storing fodder for the cattle and more specialized items for the exotic animals that Dr Maple breeds.
The house where Dr Maple’s aged mother lives with her six cats. It has always been part of Grange Farm.
Opened last year by Daisy and Josie Stone, two young sisters who were unable to find suitable jobs after leaving university. They got a loan from their uncle to finance the set-up costs.
Dr Fancis Reed and his wife Kathy are both vets. He deals with farm animals. She deals with domestic animals. Her own pet is a baby hedgehog which was left an orphan when its mother was run over by a tractor. She calls it Hotchiwitchi, the traditional name for hedgehog in Norfolk where she grew up
New hotspot created at 2015-08-31 @ 13:10